Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Twilight: The Hidden Messages

Alright, this is something I've been wanting to talk about for a long time. I've always been against Twilight, but at one point I was really tempted to try watching it.... that is, until I did a little research of my own. (Most of the information I found came from this source.)

I believe that Twilight is a whole lot darker than it is cracked out to be. What is it about this franchise that is drawing in so many young girls? And if it's only a book, what's the harm in reading it? To answer that question, we have to start from the beginning.

The idea for Twilight came to Stephenie Meyer in the form of a dream. On her website, she says," I woke up (on that June 2nd) from a very vivid dream. In my dream, two people were having an intense conversation in a meadow in the woods. One of these people was just your average girl. The other person was fantastically beautiful, sparkly, and a vampire. They were discussing the difficulties inherent to the facts that (A) they were falling in love with each other while (B) the vampire was particularly attracted to the scent of her blood, and was having a difficult time restraining to himself to killing her immediately."

When Stephanie Meyer awoke, she quickly began to write down everything she had seen in the dream. She described Bella and Edward as "quite literally, voices in my head. They simply wouldn't shut up." Now, here's where it gets strange: Shortly after the writing of Twilight was finished, Meyer had another dream, where Edward appeared to her saying that she had gotten it all wrong and that he DID drink human blood. (In the books, Edward and his family are "vegetarians.")

I don't know about you, but something about those two dreams sound a little strange to me. Did they really just come from her mind? They didn't come from God. 


Another thing I found interesting was that on Breaking Dawn's screen writer's facebook, she writes that she would "ensure plenty of blood and sex in both films." Do you honestly want to be filling your mind with that junk? Philippians 4:8 says: "Finally, my brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything if excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Is Twilight really any of those things? Ask yourself that.

There is also the issue of Edward and his family being "good" vampires. Have you considered what vampires actually are? Either something is pleasing to God or it is not. There's no compromising.  (See Isaiah 5:20.)

The last thing I'd like to point out is the cover of Twilight and what is stands for. As you've probably noticed, on the front of the book is a picture of two hands holding out an apple. Inside the book, you've probably also noticed the Bible verse at the beginning, Genesis 2:17: "But you must not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die." Edward represents the forbidden fruit. How? Well, there's one point in the series when Edward leaves Bella for a time, because obviously, he's a vampire and she is a mortal. It's dangerous for them to be together. During that period Bella is completely depressed. She eventually tells Edward that she doesn't care about her soul and just wants to be with him. Later on in the books Bella does end up marrying Edward and transforms into a vampire, which results in her human soul "dying."

That right there is a very harmful message to be sending to readers. We should absolutely care about our soul! Not only that, but we should also care about focusing on God a whole lot more than focusing on boys! Throughout Twilight, Bella is pretty much obsessed with Edward. Girls today need to know that you do NOT need a guy to make you happy! If God wants you to marry, then He will send you the right guy at the right time.

I know I've come on pretty strong in this post, but I felt like it's something that had to be done. Please know that I have nothing against any of you ladies who do choose to read/watch Twilight, as that decision is between you and the Lord. However, the bottom line is this: It's not about what you do or don't do; it's about your relationship with Christ. If you are faced with a decision that makes you question whether this is right or wrong, ask yourself this: Is it holy? Am I being entertained by the things that put my precious Jesus on the cross? If God were right here beside me (which He is), what would He do? I think you'll have your answer

The Love Of Christ,
Michal

P.S. I will not be posting next week because I'm off to youth camp... so excited!! God will do great things!


4 comments:

  1. I can't agree more. This post was fabulous and so true. THANK YOU, Michal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I love that post! I didn't know much about Twilight until I read your post.
    Yes it can seem tempting to watch it at times (for me sometimes anyway) but this post made me see more about these books. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. I am a writer, I pray before I write. That is dangerous.I know what its like to have things forming in front of your brain, but I pray to the Lord of all, and so it usely ends up being used for His glory. I know that people like the founder of the mormons, he had a dream and felt a heavy weight pressing on him to make his read this book [which became their "bible"] so did mohammed former of islam.
    There has been studies that if a person comes under a weight, or something that we would define as demonic if they cry out the name of Jesus it will leave immeadiately . How wonder full is our God!
    I do you mind if I share this with my friends? I feel this is very important.
    Thank you for doing this research. You are such a lovely Lady that is troubled by what this generation is being fed, and is swallowing, with out tasting you might say. Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [For making people relise these things]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!
Just be sure to keep your language clean and pleasing to God. :)